Honda Stream - History, Specs & Information
There will not be anyone who doesn't know about the Honda Motor Company Ltd. It is a very popular Japanese Multinational Company which deals with the manufacture of products like Scooters, Automobiles, Motorcycles, Electrical Generators, Jet engines, Jet aircrafts, Robotics and the like. However, their main business has always been related to the manufacturing of automobiles and motorcycles. Time and again Honda has been delivering many great models of automobiles and in October 2000, it launched The Honda Stream that became an instant hit among masses and still remains a favorite of many.
The word "Stream" means "flow" that may denote flow of fashion and trends according to the changing times. This name was selected for Honda's minivan to suggest the making of a new style of minivan that is apt for the changing needs of the present century. This is how the Honda minivan came to be recognized as "Honda Stream". Honda set an industry standard by manufacturing a multi-purpose compact sports vehicle in the form of Honda Stream. Over the years Honda Stream has gone under modifications. Let us explain it in the context of its various generations.
First Generation Honda Stream (2000-2006)
The first generation of Honda Stream became available for purchase in October 2000 in Japan. Mostly built on the basis of Honda Civic, Honda Stream came with the identical flat chassis. The only way in which these chassis were different from those of Honda Civic was that the newer one added 100 mm more to its length so as to provide for the third row of seating area. These first generation Honda cars were available with the following specifications:
- Its body style can be described as a minivan that consisted of 5 doors.
- It was a 7-seater sporty car as described by Honda in its promotional brochures.
- It had a 1.7 L D17 engine.
- It was accompanied by a 2.0 L K20.
- Wheelbase was 2720 mm.
- Length, width and height were 4550 mm, 1695 mm and 1590 mm respectively.
Overall, the 1st generation Honda Stream was manufactured keeping three things in mind: a new century design, sporty performance yet that can be used for personal use and an innovative approach to minivan refinement and space comfort. Unlike other minivans, Honda Stream takes advantage of low-center-of-gravity packaging techniques and flat floor. Adding to it, Honda's G-CON technology allows Stream to adhere to the collision safety standards, pedestrian protecting designs and latest technologies that augment the overall safety performance of Honda Stream.
The primary characteristics of the 1st generation Honda Stream are as follows:
- Simple and elegant interior design
- The exterior exhibits a futuristic design
- Sporty cockpits
- Compact engine
- Large rear opening
- Collapsible third-row seats that can be folded down to have a flat floor.
- Air cleaner filters the impurities of the air that may come inside the vehicle.
- Sound blocking materials have been placed throughout the car that effectively reduce any type of noise and provide a quiet cabin interior.
- Body design measures that could minimize pedestrian injury were expanded so as to offer head protection, leg and lower body protection.
In 2003, Honda Motor Company launched DI 2.0 L engines. These engines were far better than their predecessors and had improved fuel efficiency. In the year 2004, Honda Stream was face lifted for the good. Although, the launch of Honda Stream took the world by storm, it was the second generation Stream that received more praises for its stylish appearance and spacious interior.
Second Generation Honda Stream (2006-Present)
The second generation can be defined as the time period from 2006 till present. In July 2006, Honda announced the launch of a new Stream. The highlights of this Stream are:
- It has low floor platform. In fact, the earlier floor tunnel is no more a problem in the new Stream. These have been eliminated and hence provide plenty of space for legs to stretch. Irrespective of where the passengers are sitting, the completely flat floor of 2nd generation Honda Stream offers relaxing space.
- The power trains of the new Honda Stream are excellent and deliver an amazing linear response and strong acceleration.
- Powerful driving performance. The new suspension geometry produces both a flat ride and linear handling.
- Folding seats that help create more space within the vehicle.
- The side sills are much stronger and compact than those of its predecessors.
- Stylish compact exterior that displays a sporty and dynamic outward appearance.
- Comfortable interior that is in every way aesthetically and vibrantly designed.
- The seat mechanisms of the new Stream are easy to operate.
- The luggage area has two separate compartments that can be used for many purposes.
- The car comes with a lot of storage compartments making it easier for the users to store as many things as they would want to.
- Apart from that, all of the models of this new Stream have received a certification from "Japanese Ministry of Land" and even Transport and Infrastructure certification.
The 2nd generation Stream is also equipped with advanced safety technologies. Some of these include:
- Intelligent Highway Cruise Control (IHCC) – It helps in controlling the speed of the vehicle and also the distance to the other vehicles ahead of it.
- Collision Mitigation Brake System (CMBS2) –This brake system along with the E-pretensioners2 helps in detecting the possibility of collisions and further in reducing the force of such collisions.
- The Vehicle Stability Assist System (VSA system) – This system includes Traction Control System, Antilock Brake System and sideslip control9. These help in optimizing engine torque thereby allowing the drivers to gain precise control over the vehicle.
- All the 2nd generation models of Stream are equipped with Electronic Brake Distribution and Anti-lock Brake System.
- Other than this, the Crash Compatibility Body of the new Stream provides utmost protection.
- Overall, Honda's G-CON technology has doubled the effectiveness of safety measures in the new Honda Stream. Furthermore, seat belt pretensioners and Dual SRS airbags in the front are additional safety features that come in these new Honda Stream models.
- That is not all! Honda's wide-ranging approach to safety also includes Pedestrian injury reduction. What this means is that on the occurrence of a mishap, improved safety is ensured. This has been made possible with technologies like Impact absorbing hood, Impact absorbing wipers, Impact absorbing front fenders, Impact absorbing bumpers and the like.
The second generation Stream exhibited an enhanced modern look and came with the benefit of easy parking even in restricted-height parking lots. Traditionally, MPVs are tall and hence problematic for modern car parking lots. The new Stream has ultra-low height with additional advantages that makes parking it even easier. This is made possible due light steering, small turning radius and compact body length. It has 7 passenger seats with functionality and versatility that are worth praising. Whether you are driving, steering, getting out of the car, changing seat arrangements etc., the car offers total comfort. The enhancement of the body frame rigidity was a wise change. Now people will experience improved driving performance. Also, in these Streams, the sub pillars in the front, that often block the visibility in other cars, have been removed. Moreover, the drive gets a panoramic and clear view of the path. Its well bolstered seat and easy seat height adjustment enable drivers to sit in a comfortable driving position. All these innovations have paved way for a much comfortable passenger experience and have made driving a pleasurable task.
This generation of Honda Stream is available internationally and that too in two levels of specifications; the lower end specifications and higher end specifications.
The lower end exhibits the following specifications:
- The R18A 1.8 L i-VTEC 14 engine that provides a great driving performance.
- The engine comes with a 5 speed gearbox that operates automatically. This allows rapid acceleration and at the same time ensures good fuel economy whenever the Honda Stream is cruising. Hence, the new Stream offers a driving pleasure that cannot be matched up with.
- Manual 5 speed transmission is also offered in some of the countries.
The higher end boasts of features such as:
- The R20A 2.0 L i-VTEC 14 (RS-Z) engine that provides a smooth and powerful driving performance.
- A CVT transmission is offered.
- For FWD models, 7-speed paddle shift utility is provided; however, that is optional.
- For AWD models, an automatic transmission of 5 speeds is provided.
- RSZ model has damping shock absorbers that come with anti-roll bar.
Apart from that, the 2nd generation Honda Stream has the following features:
- 2740 mm wheelbase
- 1570 mm height
- Length and width are 4575 mm and 1695 mm respectively.
It would be important to note that only RSZ model of Honda Stream is being made available since April 2012. The RSZ model is available in both 1.8 L and 2.0 L versions. These are equipped with 17 inch wheels. It has also got a front spoiler and rear stabilizer bar.
In addition to that, custom tuned suspension allows the users to have extra driving enjoyment. Not to forget the other attractive features of RSZ model that include black interior, custom aerodynamic parts, eye catching designs etc. that have added more charm to this model of Honda Stream.
On the whole, the result is not just a stylish and sophisticated car but the one that has some of the best and user friendly features. That says it all! The new Honda Stream brags about an excellent horsepower, powerful acceleration, efficient fuel economy, high comfort level and a chic yet sporty look. What more can you ask for?